When you hear the phrase Farm to Table, what comes to mind? Perhaps …
- Shopping close to home, at a farmer’s market, out in the fresh air.
- Supporting local farmers and getting to know them.
- Small trucks bringing food straight from the farm (not tractor-trailers hauling it across the country).
- Just-picked fruits and vegetables at their peak for freshness, taste, and nutrition.
- Finding new varieties of fruits and veggies and using them in new recipes.
- A tasty way to fill up half of MyPlate.
- All of the above?
- When meeting with a client, talk about where the nearest farmer’s market is located and what’s in season (here’s a handy online guide by state). Write this information on the notepad, tear off that page, and let them take it home.
- Send a handwritten note to clients, co-workers, or students – yes, by snail mail! Include a tip about a nearby farmer’s market and suggestions about what to buy.
- Host a photo contest on social media. Ask people to take pictures of their favorite farmer’s market or farm stand, or a healthy dish they made with locally-grown produce. Winner(s) get a Farm to Table notepad (or wristband).
In the workplace, our Bring the Farm to Your Table poster will brighten things up and remind employees to stop at the farmer’s market for some delicious fresh produce. Provide some healthy recipes for what’s in-season.
In July, we celebrate National Berry Month, Peach Month, and Watermelon Month – you could spend a week on each fruit, providing facts, recipes, and preparation ideas!