National School Lunch Week might be celebrated October 10-14, but we think the dedicated people who feed America’s students deserve recognition every day.
The future of our country counts on kids growing up eating healthy meals, including school breakfast and lunch. Let school foodservice employees know how important they are, any time of the year.
Here are some ideas:
- Students can:
- Create their own school lunch or breakfast posters (make it a contest or just a fun activity).
- Sign a giant thank you card and present it to foodservice staff.
- Write notes about or draw pictures of their favorite school meals.
- Give foodservice staff a big smile and say thank you!
- You can:
- Take pictures of smiling students eating their school lunch or breakfast and post them in the cafeteria and/or kitchen.
- Encourage parents and teachers to write thank you notes to foodservice staff.
- Brighten up kitchens and cafeterias with salad bar clings and posters, like these:
- Make New Friends poster
- Rock Your Tray dry-erase school breakfast and lunch posters
- Make Friends with Vegetables poster (kids will get a kick out of this veggie face!)
- Eat From the Rainbow salad bar/window cling
- Grow Great poster
- Start Your Day with Breakfast poster
By Hollis Bass, MEd, RD, LD