Raise your hand if you have COVID cooking fatigue!
I confess to recurring bouts with this condition. From what I see on social media and in the news, I’m not alone.
What can you do? Buy prepared foods at the supermarket…order carry-out from local restaurants…pay for a meal delivery service. But these options aren’t always the best for your budget or your health.
How about prescribing a 30-minute video that just might cure COVID cooking fatigue? Our 25 Ingredients, 15 Meals video makes food shopping and meal preparation a breeze for even the most reluctant cooks.
Your audience will learn a lot in just half an hour, including:
- Menu planning.
- Shopping from a list.
- Healthy cooking methods.
- Money-, time-, and calorie-saving strategies.
- Cook it once and serve it 2-3 times
Beyond COVID cooking fatigue, 25 Ingredients, 15 Meals would work well for teaching:
- Weight loss groups
- Families or individuals at risk for food insecurity
- Home-school students who need lessons on cooking, nutrition, math, or budgeting
- Addiction recovery programs
- Boy Scout, Girl Scout, and other youth groups
- Students (middle school, high school, and college)
Hollis Bass, MEd, RD, LD
If you teach or work with kids, you probably know about STEM. It stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, and we hear about it a lot in terms of preparing students for the jobs of the future. But did you also know that we can use STEM to teach HEPA?
If HEPA makes you think of filters and allergies, think again! It’s a handy way to say Healthy Eating and Physical Activity. HEPA-focused STEM activities give kids the skills they need to make healthy choices. That’s why STEM is on our list of hot topics for 2020.
There are many ways to incorporate HEPA into STEM programs. Here are just a few ideas:
- Use food for hands-on nutrition activities that engage students, like this simple activity from the Children’s Museum of Houston about fat in food: https://www.cmhouston.org/experiment-fat.
- Teach cooking. Learning how to cook healthy food is a skill that will last a lifetime. Check out our Learn to Cook Workbook. Students will learn STEM-related concepts like food safety, cooking methods, and how to follow a recipe. There are even cooking-related math problems!
- Sharpen math skills with nutrition and physical activity lessons. We have the all the materials you need to combine math with HEPA:
- Math of Fiber
- Sugar Math
- Sodium Math
- Food Label Math
- Math of Movement
- Calorie Math
- Talk to students about HEPA-related STEM careers. Find information on these jobs at StemJobs.com:
- Professional food forager
- Food scientist
- Health teacher
Be sure to check out our entire collection of STEM-related materials. Use nutrition science and math to teach students of all ages (including adults) to make healthy choices!