June 2nd is MyPlate’s 11th birthday! Celebrate with these 11 tips for teaching with MyPlate, using materials from NutritionEducationStore.com and MyPlate.gov:
- First stop: Look at all the items available in our MyPlate theme. Whether you’re planning a booth at a health fair or decorating a bulletin board, you’re sure to find something inspiring here.
- Make it your own: Everyone’s MyPlate doesn’t have to look the same! Give your audience the MyPlate Quiz to assess current eating patterns and identify healthy eating interests.
- Each person who completes the quiz receives a snapshot of how they’re doing on the food groups, along with personalized resources and tip sheets.
- Users can also sync their quiz results in the free Start Simple with MyPlate app and set food group goals based on those results.
- MyPlate 101: Offer a class on MyPlate. We’ve done the work for you with our MyPlate PowerPoint lesson, which includes three different presentations with handouts:
- MyPlate for Adults
- MyPlate Express
- MyPlate for Kids
- Go social: Let your friends and followers know it’s MyPlate’s birthday. Encourage them to share their favorite summertime meals, nutrition tips, or activities using #MyPlateBirthday.
- Make it fun: Everyone will learn about MyPlate AND have fun playing ourMyPlate Trivia Game or MyPlate Bingo.
- Earn the badge: MyPlate’s Birthday App Challenge runs from June 1 through June 30, 2022. Achieve 11 food group goals to earn the 11th birthday badge!
- MiPlato: Distribute these color handouts that come in English and Spanish:
- Ask Alexa: MyPlate is now an Alexa skill!
- Wear the MyPlate message: Give out our MyPlate (or MiPlato) wristbands.
- Get cooking: Find healthy, delicious recipes online in the MyPlate Kitchen.
- Eat with your eyes: Take MyPlate further by using MyPlate Food Photos to show real, healthy, mouthwatering foods that go on real plates.
Find more ways to celebrate MyPlate’s 11th birthday here.
By Hollis Bass, MEd, RD, LD
MyPlate turns 10 in June. Celebrate with these 10 tips for teaching with MyPlate, using materials from NutritionEducationStore.com and MyPlate.gov:
- One look says it all. MyPlate is so successful because one glance tells you what you need to know about healthy eating.
- Get the MyPlate graphic in 22 languages here.
- Use the App. With the Start Simple with MyPlate app, users pick simple daily food goals, see real-time progress, and earn badges along the way.
- Post the day’s menu with MyPlate. Our MyPlate Erasable Menu poster reminds everyone how to make healthy choices in the cafeteria.
- Look down. Who expects to see MyPlate on the floor?!
- Get cooking! Show your patients, clients, or students how to cook the MyPlate way with the MyPlate Cooking Demo Ideas Book and CD.
- Quiz time. Let everyone show what they know with online MyPlate Quizzes.
- Eat with your eyes. Take MyPlate further by using MyPlate Food Photos to show real, healthy, mouthwatering foods that go on real plates.
- MyPlate for moms. MyPlate is for everyone, but expecting and nursing moms need a few extra pointers provided by the MyPlate for Pregnant and Nursing Moms poster.
- Bonus: It’s in Spanish on one side and English on the other.
- You’re never too old for MyPlate. Seniors will get a kick out of their own Healthy MyPlate for Older Americans.
- Make a plan. Get your personalized MyPlate Plan (English and Spanish) by entering age, sex, height, weight, and activity level.
Find more ways to celebrate MyPlate’s 10th birthday here. Download free MyPlate Toolkits here.
Hollis Bass, MEd, RD, LD
MyPlate turns 8 years old on June 2nd. It is hard to believe that 8 years have gone by already but we love making a healthy plate for every meal. It is just so easy!
Check out our MyPlate education resources! Use the code MyPlate for 10% off!