I’m still thinking about New Year’s resolutions.
The idea in my last post was to approach resolutions like you would a pyramid: start with the basics and build. Instead of making large and broad resolutions, make 12 little changes to your lifestyle. Basically, you can try one new approach per month and then keep adding on to your project for tho entire year.
And the best part is that it’s not too late for this month!
So, what would you like to do to make your eating pattern a little more healthful? Remember, these small goals don’t always need to be taking something away or stopping doing something; they could be adding things, too.
Only you know what you’re doing now and what you would like to change.
To help get you started, I came up with a list of 20 little goals.
Use this list however you’d like — add to it, choose your favorites, pat yourself on the back for what you’re already doing, etc. Do whatever works for you. Seriously.
- Eat one more vegetable every day.
- Eat one more fruit every day.
- Plan one meatless meal every week.
- Buy a refillable water bottle and use it.
- Walk an extra 15 minutes each day.
- Try a new vegetable this month.
- Experiment with an exotic fruit that you’ve never tried before.
- Add healthful nuts to your shopping list.
- Use more olive oil. Swap out solid fats like butter or margarine for olive oil.
- Make your own salad dressings.
- Pack your lunch two days a week.
- Eat dinner at home at least three nights a week.
- Experiment with a “new” whole grain and eat it four different ways.
- Wash your hands before eating (even in restaurants).
- Experiment with a new spice or herb.
- Eat more beans.
- Drink less juice.
- Eat fish twice a week
- Buy old-fashioned oatmeal instead of packaged cereal so that you can eat more oatmeal.
- Try one new recipe each month — at the end of the year you will have increased your repertoire of healthy dishes.
I think we all know that eating and being healthful needs to become a lifestyle, not just something you do for a few weeks. Why not try it this year? Small changes at a time. Just think of where you can be 12 months from now.
By Cheryle Jones Syracuse, MS, Professor Emeritus, The Ohio State University
New Products Available Now
Check out the Nutrition Nuggets page which features over 20% off three special products each week.