This phrase recently caught my attention: Little by little, a little becomes a lot. I even wrote it on a sticky note and put it on my refrigerator. It reminds me that small things count. They add up.
Meditating for just one minute; adding a baby spinach salad to a meal; walking around the block; cleaning one kitchen counter. Doing small things may not seem important at the moment, but over time they mean a lot. A healthier diet, more exercise, a cleaner house.
You probably have clients or patients who are all-or-nothing thinkers – they really need to hear this message! Especially now, when the pandemic disrupts our routines, and sometimes even the tiniest change feels overwhelming.
Our Change It Up theme goes well with this concept. Little by little, diet and exercise changes will add up to transform your life. It’s how you go from being the worn out fast-food caterpillar to the vibrant, beautiful butterfly.
Use the Change It Up concept to teach your clients, patients, or students that …
- The transformation isn’t instant, but the good feeling you get from one small change takes you one baby step closer.
- Get the good feeling by celebrating (yay, me!) when you make the choice to have an apple instead of chips.
- Change can be overwhelming, so start small by concentrating on doing something different for just one meal.
- Once a healthy breakfast becomes a daily habit, move on to lunch, dinner, or snacks.
- You can’t go from the couch to a 5K overnight.
- Going to the end of your driveway counts. Remember, small is good!
- Nobody is perfect. You’ll mess up and that’s okay.
- It’s easier to get back on track one small change at a time.
Hollis Bass, MEd, RD, LD
New Products Available Now
Check out the Nutrition Nuggets page which features over 20% off three special products each week.
Connect with us on Google Plus