When planning for retirement, most people don’t think about healthcare expenses.
Yet, healthcare expenditures increase dramatically for people age 65 and older. We’re talking an average of $12,411/year compared to $5,644/year for someone age 18-64.*
Medicare helps, but it doesn’t cover all medical costs. And some medications and procedures may not be covered at all, leaving retirees with unexpected medical bills.
The answer? Take a two-pronged approach to retirement planning:
- Take care of your money: Consult with a financial planner to learn how to plan for retirement by saving and investing your money.
- Take care of your body: Consult with a registered dietitian and other health professionals to stay as healthy as possible, which could help you avoid high healthcare costs during your golden years.
Our Men’s Health Bootcamp and Women’s Health Bootcamp PowerPoint shows are perfect for teaching your clients, students, or employees how to take care of their bodies for a healthy retirement. Each covers common diseases for American men and women, including causes, symptoms, and prevention strategies for each condition.
These Bootcamp presentations are versatile, so you can use all or parts of each one depending on your audience. Here are a few ideas:
- Partner with a financial planner to offer a bootcamp-themed webinar series on healthy retirement, from both a financial standpoint and a health standpoint.
- Plan a series of social media posts or emails about taking care of your body now for a healthy retirement.
- If you work with teens or high school students, find out if they take a course on budgeting or personal finance. See if you can incorporate some of the Men’s and Women’s Health Bootcamp PowerPoint shows into discussions on retirement planning.
Hollis Bass, MEd, RD, LD
*Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Mean expenditure per person by age groups, United States, 2018. Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. Generated interactively: May 2021. https://meps.ahrq.gov/mepstrends/hc_use/.
New Products Available Now
Check out the Nutrition Nuggets page which features over 20% off three special products each week.