We’re about nine weeks away from Halloween and the start of the holiday eating season.
Like always, we want to help people handle the holidays without gaining weight or giving up on healthy habits. But this year, there’s a catch – the COVID-19 pandemic.
COVID-19 will add to the stress of the holidays, making it even more important to plan how you’re going to help your clients survive the season. Get started with our Holiday Challenge Contest and Tool Kit. It has something for everyone:
- Want to host just one class? Use Ten Strategies for the Holidays.
- Interested in holding a competition? Use the 9-week Celebrate by Losing Weight contest.
- Ready to do a series of virtual holiday-help sessions? We have you covered with topics like holiday eating on-the-go, exercising during the holidays, party planning, holiday MyPlate, and more!
Here are some tips you’ll want to cover, along with the “COVID catch” that makes this year different:
- Halloween candy — keep it out of the house!
COVID catch: We may not even have traditional trick-or-treating, so don’t get stuck with bags of candy. Find out how your community is handling Halloween and plan accordingly.
- Holiday baking — tone it down!
COVID catch: Many of us have been baking more than usual and the holidays are yet another excuse to make our favorites. Plan now to bake less, modify recipes, and find non-food crafts and gifts to make instead of bake.
- Exercise — keep moving!
COVID catch: If your exercise routine is in a rut due to the pandemic, now is the time to take action. Don’t wait for the new year! Find something that you enjoy and can do for 20-30 minutes a day.
- Don’t go it alone — get a health buddy!
COVID catch: Working from home and social distancing can be lonely, so start or join a friendly competition. Participants can check in daily on Facebook or Zoom. A virtual buddy might be the perfect “gift” for the holidays! Walking outside with a mask is a great way to connect with friends.
It’s never too early to start planning for the holidays! Let’s help everyone get through this COVID-19 holiday season and come out with new skills for a healthy new year.
Hollis Bass, MEd, RD, LD
New Products Available Now
Check out the Nutrition Nuggets page which features over 20% off three special products each week.