Raise your hand if, when the COVID-19 shut down began, you vowed to use this time at home to do big things — like cook from scratch with only unprocessed foods every night; organize those boxes of family photos; workout twice a day; or learn a foreign language.
We had good intentions, but our goals were unrealistic, especially given that we’re in the middle of a pandemic. The news took over our lives and we had to get used to working virtually in many cases.
Chances are, your clients also set themselves up with some lofty goals, many relating to diet. When they failed to meet these unrealistic expectations, they may have thrown up their hands and quit trying. Let them know this is normal. Then help them move on with small goals for healthy eating.
This might just be the perfect time to introduce yourself and your clients to the Start Simple with MyPlate App. Free from the App Store and Google Play, this app helps you set and meet healthy eating goals that are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely).
Here’s how the app works:
- Choose up to three goals per MyPlate food group. Some examples: “add vegetables to your lunch,” “have fruit for a sweet treat,” “have a whole grain at dinner,” “start your day with a protein food.” You can do this for each food group, or just pick one or two food groups to work on.
- When you meet a goal, you check it off for that day. The app lets you see your daily progress, get simple how-to tips to help you meet your goals, and select options for notifications and reminders.
- As your goals are completed, you can earn a variety of badges, like first goal complete, daily-streaks, food group badges, and the ultimate MyPlate badge.
Why we like the Start Simple with MyPlate App:
- Easy: although it’s not designed for kids, they’ll pick it up quickly and can probably teach their parents/grandparents to use it.
- Fun: the app is colorful, appealing to the eye, and fun to use.
- Uplifting: when you check off a completed goal or earn a badge, you get a little celebration on your screen. (Sounds corny, but it will make you smile.)
- Flexible: you can change your goals at any time.
- Educational: users can learn more about MyPlate by clicking on the MyPlate 101 section.
- Basic: the goals are simple enough for anyone to do.
- Maintainable: when the world is overwhelming, this app helps you make a small change that you’ll be able to maintain.
- Shareable: when you earn a badge, you can share this success on social media. This may encourage others to join you.
- Challenging: there are built-in challenges for each season, providing a sense of competition and something larger to work toward for those who want it.
Tips for using the Start Simple with MyPlate App with your clients:
- Use the app for a day or two before you share it with your clients.
- Watch this one-minute video and read these FAQs.
- Introduce the MyPlate concept to your clients with our MyPlate PowerPoint show and/or videos and other resources on the MyPlate website.
- Use the MyPlate Kitchen Recipes playlist on YouTube.
- Start a private Facebook group where clients can interact and share successes with you and each other.
Check out our new and popular MyPlate materials: