It’s time for another free nutrition handout! This week’s installment is all about simple substitutions that your clients can make in order to improve their heart health. There’s a preview below, and, if you like what you see, scroll down for a link to download the PDF for free.
- Choose oatmeal or another whole grain cereal instead of baked goods. Top your oatmeal with fruit and skim milk.
- You can also try 100% whole wheat breads instead of sugary baked goods. After all, MyPlate does insist that people should make at least half of all the grains they eat whole grains, every day.
- Try trans-fat-free light tub margarine instead of butter.
- Substitute fat-free ricotta for regular or reduced-fat ricotta.
- Use a little bit of cheese that has a strong flavor instead of a lot of cheese that has a mild flavor. For example, try Swiss, Parmesan, or cheddar cheese as flavoring agents and keep the amount you use in the dish on the small side.
- Use egg whites instead of whole eggs.
- Try a nonfat egg substitute.
To see the whole handout, download it today!