September is Whole Grains Month. The typical American diet is high in refined grains, but most people don’t eat enough whole grains.
Here’s a 3-step approach to eating more whole grains that you can share with your classes, patients, or clients:
- Simple Swaps: Whole wheat bread for white bread; brown rice for white rice; bran flakes for corn flakes. Our Go for the Whole Grain color tearpad shows lots of possible substitutions for refined grains.
- Easy Add Ins: Add oats to your smoothie; use buckwheat flour for a portion of the all-purpose flour in a recipe; top your spinach salad with a spoonful of cooked quinoa. You’ll find these tips and more in our Grains are for Brains PowerPoint set.
- Grain Adventures: Be brave … try a whole grain you’ve never eaten before! Our All About Whole Grains color tearpad shows pictures of grains many folks have probably never seen. Experiment and see what you like.
Other ways to get into the spirit of Whole Grains Month:
- Decorate with our Whole Grains Bulletin Board Kit.
- Give away our Go for the Whole Grain stickers or bookmarks.
- Download the free Whole Grains Rock GIF from the Whole Grains Council.
Hollis Bass, MEd, RD, LD
Want to save big in the Nutrition Education Store? We’re offering free shipping right now on all US orders, no code necessary!