- Create a Nutrition Education Display board and display it in the lobby. It’s a great resource for employees and community members who are seeking services.
- Make Nutrition Education bulletin boards available for all clinic sites to display.
- Set up a 5 for 5 Challenge. This challenge will encourage employees to eat at least 5 servings of fruits or vegetables every day. It can also include an exercise component, calling for everyone to exercise for at least 30 minutes on each of the 5 workdays during the week. Employees will have a tracking form to keep up with their progress towards the challenge. If they complete the form, then that person’s name will be entered into a drawing at the end of the month’s activities. Feel free to offer prizes that you think would work best for your site.
- Have a smoothie and healthful snack taste testing week. Make healthful snacks and smoothies will available for a one hour period at your workplace. Offer recipes and supporting materials to anyone who stops by to taste test the treats. Employees that participate could also enter their names into the drawings to be held at the end of the month’s activities.
- Hold a healthful cooking demonstration. We had success with a 1-hour nutrition education session, which included the preparation of multiple recipes to encourage healthful eating and vegetable consumption. RSVPs were be requested for the session. Employees that participated could also be entered into the drawings to be held at the end of the month’s activities.
- At the end of the month, drawings will be held for the people that participated in at least one of the month’s activities. Drawing prizes could include the following… MyPlate magnets, a professional apron, MyPlate wristbands, assorted kitchen tools, or even a cookbook. You could also work with the HR department to give work-related prizes like an extra vacation day.
By Kelly Whipker, RD, LDN
The Nutrition Education Store has everything you need for fantastic worksite wellness programs or fun Nutrition Month activities…