Are you washing your hands as often as you were two years ago? Singing the birthday song twice to make sure you wash for 20 seconds? Using hand sanitizer when you can’t wash?
Many of us have let our pre-COVID handwashing habits (or lack thereof) sneak back in. But handwashing is still important.
According to the CDC, handwashing education can reduce:
- Diarrheal illnesses
- Respiratory illnesses
- Absenteeism due to gastrointestinal illness in schoolchildren
Our Handwashing poster is an easy way to remind people to wash their hands frequently and thoroughly. Here are some activity ideas to go along with it:
- Play a handwashing video from the selection available on CDC’s website.
- The collection includes videos in Spanish and American Sign Language, as well as special videos for kids.
- Post handwashing reminders on social media.
- CDC has social media graphics in English and Spanish.
- Conduct a handwashing experiment:
- Remind your audience to pick a 20 second song they can sing while they wash:
Hollis Bass, MEd, RD, LD